Friday, October 31, 2008

Movie Review: HSM 3 Senior Year [G]

Alright, I know what you're thinking. You seriously PAID to see that movie, come on , sequels are bad enough, but a third? In general, I would agree with you. Most sequels are bad, not to mention a third. However, that is not the case with the High School Musical franchise. The first High School Musical was a made-for-Disney Channel movie that was a huge surprise hit. Disney jumped on it with school supplies, clothing, posters, an ice show, and a concert tour. Then came HSM[ shorthand for High School Musical that I'll use from here on out] 2, a movie about how the gang spent their summer. Honestly, the songs were really catchy, but HSM 2 was not good. The plot at least kept my attention during the first movie, I really struggled during the second one!

Given the track record of most movie series, I was not expecting a whole lot from HSM 3. I couldn't really think of much else to sing about that was different in the senior year. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. I am a sucker for a good musical number and this movie was full of them. The third movie had 10 brand new songs, all of them catchy. The acting is not nearly as bad as I thought, though some lines from Gabriella [my least favorite HSM character, played by Vanessa Hudgens] made me cringe because they were so sappy. I love Sharpay, played by Ashley Tisdale, she's so evil, but she's so good at it! Troy, played by Zac Efron, faces some very real choices for a young man about to brave the world on his own.

Ultimately, I really liked HSM 3. I would definitely recommend it if you loved the first one, are a girl of any age, or love musicals. If you're looking for a clean, cute, fun movie that you won't feel guilty for seeing, HSM 3 won't disappoint.

No comments: