Monday, May 19, 2008

Movie Review: Prince Caspian (PG)

I love movies, I especially love good movies. While I am in no ways a professional, I thought that I would start writing review of the movies our family has seen recently. I want to pursue journalism, this could be good practice! On Friday May 16th my family went to the movie theater[a rare occasion] to see the next installment in the Chronicles of Narnia series, Prince Caspian. Our family has a rule, if it was made from a book, read the book first. We LOVE C.S. Lewis, so we read Prince Caspian for the seventeenth time before seeing it. The same four children play the Pevensie siblings, Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy. It's been a year since they've been to Narnia, but it's been 1300 years in Narnian time since their rule. Narnia is in turmoil, the Telmarines, a race of men, have invaded and conquered Narnia with the evil King Miraz at the helm. The title character is the king's nephew, the rightful heir to the throne of his fathers. Miraz, obviously, wants his newborn son to inherit his throne. Thus, the conflict begins.
The movie is, technically speaking, fabulous. The special effects are top-notch and the battle scenes are awesomely choreographed. The actors are, in my opinion, perfect for their roles and do a superb job. It's a long movie, clocking in at just under two and a half hours. What is probably most disappointing to book fans, is the deviation from Lewis's text. On the whole, the story is told faithfully, but there are several small things that felt unnecessary. While very cool, there is an entire castle siege battle that isn't anywhere in the book. My least favorite part of the movie[Spoiler Warning] was the attraction between Susan and Prince Caspian. Why did they have to kiss at the end? It was very out of place in my opinion.
All that being said, I still can't help but love Prince Caspian. The battle scenes are very Lord of the Rings-esque without all the blood of a Lord of the Rings battle. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time, even though I already knew what was going to happen. That is a trademark of a good movie, it keeps you enthralled despite knowing the plot beforehand. I give it a big thumbs-up and am eagerly anticipated the release of The Voyage of The Dawn Treader in 2010!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great thing to do if you're going for journalism Chelsea. I like and agree with the review, though some poeple thought that Prince Caispan Shouldn't have had a spanish accent. I also Agree with your least favorite part of the movie. I can't wait for the Dawn Treader either.
Sean

Brad Livengood said...

I always enjoy reading your writing. It is a smart idea, if you desire to pursue journalism, to try your hand at different styles. The review sounds very accomplished. You do the thing very well, with a brief synopsis of the background, which encites interest to those (such as myself)who have not seen the film. Your obvious passion for the Narnia series makes me want to forgive the $8.50, or whatever it cost to go and see the thing, and show up in line, yet you do not simply give it an automatic pass. It is certain that you have viewed the film with a critical eye, relating to the reader what is wrong with the film, as well as what you liked. As an old time movie watcher, I would like to hear more about specific actors, and what they bring to their roles, but this is an excellent piece of writing, well-structured and balanced.