Monday, February 11, 2008

Compassion Blog Month pt. 2

This is a picture of my Compassion child, Maadi Mangi. She is eight years old and lives in East India. I became interested in sponsorship when I attended StudentLife@The Beach camp in 2006. [Compassion partners with Lifeway camps to get kids sponsored.] I really felt that God was telling me to sponsor a child and, with my parent's permission, I selected Mangi. My family and friends were skeptical that a then fourteen year old girl could keep up the $32 monthly payments. God has been faithful to His calling, I haven't missed a payment. By God's grace, the money comes in at precisely the right time each month. I began corresponding with Mangi through letters and was pleasantly surprised how fast the response was because the brochures and booklets said to expect about six letters a year. Since beginning sponsorship in July 2006, I've recieved sixteen letters from her. Mangi is too young to write yet, her social worker or project manager writes on her behalf. She does, however, draw a picture for me on every letter. The drawings are adorable and have gotten steadily more detailed as time has gone on. God has used Compassion and Mangi to deepen my walk with Him and give me a heart for the poor. I feel compeled to reach out to the poor and give them the love of Jesus. How will that play out in my life? I'm not sure yet, but I can't wait to find out.

2 comments:

Cathie said...

Chelsea
What an amazing young woman you are! I am so proud of you! God has truely blessed the Fergusons!
I LOVE YOU!!
Aunt Cathie

Anonymous said...

We're so proud of you for doing this. You amaze us in everything you do.

Mamaw & Papaw